Effective 1 November 2019 a residence permit in Russia has become indefinite
Now a residence permit is issued for 5 years with the right of extension. Term for considering applications for issuing permits for temporary residence was reduced to 4 months.
In accordance with the regulations of Federal Law dated 02.08.2019 No. 257-FL “On amending to the Federal Law ‘On Legal Status of Foreign Aliens in the Russian Federation’”, foreigner permanently residing in Russia with a residence permit is obliged annually submit confirmation of his residence in the Russian Federation to internal affairs authority. Notification is given only personally at the end of every fifth year. If alien does not submit such notification continuously for any two calendar years, residence permit will be canceled.
An application for residence permit shall be submitted not earlier than 8 months of the first year of residence in Russia on the basis of temporary residence permit and no later than 4 months (earlier – 6 months) before the permit expires.
For foreign highly qualified specialists and their families, a residence permit is issued for the duration of their work permit.
Residence permit is issued without obtaining of temporary residence permit to aliens:
- born in the territory of the RSFSR and held the citizenship of the USSR;
- legally married to citizens of the Russian Federation and having place of residence in the Russian Federation;
- participating in the state program for the voluntary resettlement of compatriots;
- entering into military service in the Russian Federation;
- who made investments in Russia in the amount established by the government;
- successfully got higher education and received document on education and qualification with honors in Russia.
The list of persons to whom temporary residence is issued without taking into account quotas has also been expanded. In addition to the above persons, they include foreign citizens:
- citizens of Ukraine or stateless persons permanently residing on its territory, recognized as refugees or granted temporary asylum in the Russian Federation;
- citizens moving to Russia for permanent residence in accordance with international treaties on regulating the process of resettlement and protecting the rights of immigrants;
- former citizens of a state that was part of the USSR and received professional education in the Russian Federation.
Permit issuance period is reduced from 6 to 4 months.